On the west side of the lane, opposite the orchard and outbuildings, was the location of the horse barn that was discussed earlier and a barnyard. One of the barns that was close to Mentor Avenue was moved to this location in 1877 and another was built. A neighbor, E. T. C. Aldrich, wrote this in his journal “June 12, 1877: Sheared sheep and went to Garfield’s raising”. A row of open sheds near today’s west boundary fence connected the two barns. In Garfield’s diary this entry tells us when the barn complex was completed. “Sat 14 Apr 1877 the barns have been moved to the rear....”.